Most of us have extension leads in our home and, especially at Christmas, they are a useful device to help increase the amount of electrical appliances we can have.
However, whilst there may be space to plug up to four items in, it is not always safe to do so and it can be a serious fire hazard if you overload the power point with too much voltage.
You can easily avoid overloading sockets with a few easy steps:
• Check the current rating of the extension lead before plugging appliances into it. Most are rated at 13 A, but some are rated at only 10 A or less – the rating should be clearly marked on the back or underside of the extension lead. If not, refer to the manufacturer’s instructions.
• Never overload an extension lead by plugging in appliances that together will exceed the maximum current rating stated for the extension lead. This could cause the plug in the wall socket to overheat and possibly cause a fire.
• Use the Socket Overload Calculator below to see if you’re exceeding the maximum load.
The Socket Calculator has been brought to you by Electrical Safety First.
Article source: electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk