Portable heater safety
As the temperature drops many of us may be tempted to reach for a portable heater to help give our homes a heat boost, however this popular way of keeping warm can be a recipe for disaster.
Most fires caused by portable heaters are basic errors and can be easily avoided, for example, putting the heater on a stable surface and away from children and pets, who can easily knock them over.
There are a few simple tips that you can follow to ensure you are using your portable heater safely.
Portable Heater Safety Tips
- Put your heater on a level surface, well away from anything that could knock it over.
- Make sure your heater is at least a metre away from combustible materials, such as paper, furniture or curtains. Never use it to dry your clothes!
- Never leave your heater unattended whilst in use or while you are asleep.
- Never power a heater from an extension lead – they can easily cause socket overload and cause fires.
- Regularly inspect your heater for damage and deterioration. If it isn’t in good condition, don’t use it!
- Avoid second hand heaters. Make sure you buy from recognised manufacturers and retailers.
Installing a monitored fire alarm is an excellent way to ensure you are instantly altered should the worst happen and a fire break out. Take a look at our range of Fire Guardian heat sensor equipment and choose the solution that it right for you.